Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rode to The Road

2 August 2011

Was on the road before 7AM, anticipating a 12 hour riding day. First off is the Road To The Sun that passes through Glacier National Park in northwestern Montana. This is awesomely spectacular scenery, neither words nor photos can evoke the grandeur of it. The only imperfection for me was the numerous road works that delayed me be at least an hour, but at least it was cool and dry and the view was stunning. This normally wouldn't be that big a deal but today I still have a long way to go.

Once out of Glacier Park I headed south down the west coast of Flat Head Lake. It's yet another incredibly beautiful place here in Montana. I reckon a whole summer at this lake is in the cards.

Continued south to Missoula then picked up highway 12 and headed west out of Montana and across all of Idaho. Highway 12 is another of those “must do” roads for the motorcycle enthusiast. Most importantly, I got the photo of my bike at “the sign”. It is only slightly spoiled by the fact that on the Idaho portion of the road (most of it) the speed limit is 50MPH. It follows the Clearwater River for over one hundred miles as it winds downhill from Montana. At the end of highway 12 I was down in the lowlands after over a week in the highlands. The temperature was up to 99F and I was longing for the highlands.

Got stuck in road works in Orofino, Idaho, for another hour. This time it was hot and ugly and dirty and I was really glad to get past that. Crossed the border into Washington at Lewiston Idaho and headed north to Spokane, where the bike goes into the dealer first thing tomorrow morning for scheduled service. It ended up being a fourteen hours on the road kind of day.

Americana for the day: riding through the stench of skunk roadkill

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment