Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Yosemite Valley

28 August 2011

This morning it is time to bid farewell to Adam. It has been great for me to have a riding buddy the past few days and I think Adam has enjoyed it as well. As he headed for Sacramento, Don, Sarah and I headed back to Groveland via the south entrance to Yosemite National Park and a side trip into Yosemite Valley.

On the way out of the motel we found the most jacked up pickup I have ever seen and had a good laugh (see the photos).

On the way up through Central Valley we drove through mile after mile of grapevines (the “raisin capital of the world” then mile after mile of almond trees (the “almond capitol of the world”) then miles and miles of citrus trees of various flavors. All of this would have been desert if not for the extensive water management and irrigation in place.

Finally we climbed out of the valley and into Yosemite Park and Yosemite Valley. In my experience, Yosemite Valley is the most awe inspiring place on this planet. Google “yosemite valley images”. The place is majestic and enchanting and hard to leave.

Once we got back to Don and Sarah's place I packed up and rode eight miles to Dick and Cris Todd's beautiful place, where I will spend a few days before going to the Strawberry Music Festival. http://www.strawberrymusic.com

I had originally planned to be in Dallas over Labor Day weekend for the Mid-Americas Hobie regatta but the extreme heat in north Texas has put me off that idea and I decided to stay here in the cool mountains for Strawberry, which besides will give me more time to spend with my good friends Dick and Cris.

Americana for the day: cruising in Adam's rag top Mustang with the top down in the California sunshine

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment