Friday, August 19, 2011

Once Again, From the Mountains to the Sea

19 August 2011

Got an early and brisk start heading for Crater Lake National Park. I had to stop a couple of times to put on more layers.

I saw a wolf along the way to Crater Lake. At first glance I thought it was a deer but as I got closer I could see that the gait and the head were not deer like and I realized it was a big wolf. I was so “in the moment” that it never occurred to me to try and get a photo. It did add some goosebumps to my already chilled body.

Crater Lake is stunningly beautiful and I had yet another day to match. I rode around the crater and took photos of the lake from many angles. I couldn't bear to delete them so there are plenty to look at.

From Crater Lake it was a long descent to the Pacific Ocean at Crescent City, California, via Redwood National Forest. While doing my trip planning I had looked at the weather in Crescent City and noticed that the high temperatures were about 60F. This seemed odd as every where around there was in the 80's. Well I can tell you it is true. There is a cloud over the place and the cold Pacific wind blasts in there, making it cold and dreary. Five miles out of town and it's back to sunny an warm.

I got a nice camp site nestled amongst the redwoods and will be exploring the redwood parks in the morning then heading to Chico, California, to visit my kiwi mate Adam Walter.

Americana for the day: being handed the petrol nozzle. In Oregon, you are not allowed to pump your own petrol, it must be done by a certified professional (no, I am not kidding). However, motorcyclists are allowed to dispense their own petrol as long as the nozzle is handed to them by the attendant.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment