Monday, July 4, 2011


29 June 2011

My favorite book of 2010 was “The Omnivores Dilemma” by Michael Pollan. The grand scale of corn farming in American was brought home today after riding for hours and hours through nothing but corn and more corn.

Since being here I have been repeatedly warned to keep close watch for deer crossing the road. Today I crested a hill to find a large doe right in my path. I was able to stop before colliding and saw her give me a reproachful glance before ambling off into the woods.

Susan is back in “fastest route” mode on the way through Chicago. While jockeying with Chicago traffic, Susan said “take the next exit” and just after I was committed to that road I noticed that it was a toll road. My wallet was in my pannier so I had to stop and get some cash before proceeding and hope that exact change was not required. It all worked out fine in the end.

Susan did a great job of directing me to Mary-Alice and uncle Jim's place through the confusing Chicago roads – without her I would still be looking.

Americana for the day: nearly hitting a deer in the road

https://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment