Thursday, July 28, 2011

Devils Tower

28 July 2011

Spent the morning riding through Custer State Park. The road into the park has some amazing curves that spiral back over itself, there are lots of single lane tunnels, huge bison bulls, and cows with calves running free and not shy of the road at all. The Needles road passes through some fantastic rock formations. The scenery was great but after hours of being stuck behind painfully slow cars I was glad to get out of there.

On the way to Deadwood, I got hit by another thunderstorm, this one with hail the size of ping pong balls. I pulled over along with several other bikes and cars. I tried leaning over the fuel tank to protect it but my back was taking too much of a beating, even through my riding jacket. If I sat up straight my helmet and the shoulder armor in my jacket protected me. My hands were bruised and bleeding from hail strikes by the time it was over. Another peak experience.

Eventually continued on to Deadwood and Sturgis. From Sturgis it was a blat west to Devils Tower Wyoming. This is an impressive rock.

Continued west and got a motel in Moorecroft for the evening so I could work on this blog which has been neglected the past few days due to lack of opportunity.

Americana for the day: laughing at the prairie dogs at the base of Devils Tower

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment