Sunday, July 10, 2011

Three Rivers in One Day


10 July 2011
After three weeks with family it's time to start wandering the country. First destination is Hyden, Kentucky to visit my friend Chris Mullins. I didn't realize until I started writing this that I crossed the nations three biggest rivers today: Missouri, Mississippi and Ohio. Tony Rices' version of “Banks of the Ohio” was stuck in my head the rest of the day.

I went ten miles out of my way to get a photo of Caledonia – this particular one doesn't live up to the song, I was glad to get out of there.

This part of the USA is currently under an Extreme Heat Advisory. I made it about half way to Chris's house today and got a motel, it is just way too hot to consider camping. After meeting about a hundred motorcycles today and being the only one wearing a riding jacket, albeit a summer mesh one, I finally caved when the air temperature got up to body temperature and rode with just a sleeveless shirt. In New Zealand, it is very rare to see anyone riding without protective clothing, here it is the opposite. I was asked several times if my jacket was air conditioned, no one could conceive of any other reason I would be wearing it.

I plan to depart about 5AM tomorrow to arrive before the mid-day predicted triple digit temperatures.

Americana for the day: Extreme Heat Advisories

No comments:

Post a Comment