Thursday, July 21, 2011

Warm Heart, Hot Body


18 July 2011

Said goodbyes to the Eckley family this morning and headed to the local DMV office to try and resolve my bike registration trials. No luck.

On my way to Kansas City I passed through Warrensburg Missouri and cruised around the campus of my old University, enjoying all the evoked memories. By the time I got to Kansas City, the temperature was up to 104F with high humidity. I'm doing much better at coping with the heat but it still isn't much fun and the hyperthermia impairs good judgment. When I got to Cheryl's house in mid afternoon I was drenched with sweat and happy to get out of the sun.

Cheryl is my former sister in-law whom I haven't seen in nearly thirty years. We had a really nice time catching up on our lives, I got to see her daughters Amy and Kelly who were just infants when I saw them last, and meet her lovely grandchildren. Cheryl is a jewel of a person who has made this a better world to live in. I left with a warm heart.

My next stop is Denver, about eleven hours riding away, and I decided to ride through the night to avoid the heat. As I left Kansas City at 11PM it was still 92F but at least I didn't have direct sun to cope with.

Amreicana for the day: falling into the bureaucratic black hole of the DMV.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA2011

No comments:

Post a Comment