Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Looking for Toto (Eastbound Across Kansas)

14 September 2011

My destination for today is the Walnut Valley Music Festival in Winfield, Kansas. I'd like to get there and have camp set up well before dark so another early start is in order. It was a cool nine hours riding with temps in the mid sixties and a strong head wind.

The endless corn in Illinois reminded me of the book “The Omnivores Dilemma”. Eastern Colorado and all of Kansas once again brought the book to mind because of the enormous cattle feed lots. I am first assaulted by the foul stench from miles away, then see what looks like a squall on the horizon that turns out to be a dust cloud raised from the thousands of cattle milling about in the barren feed lots where they barely have room to move. Dodge City, Kansas, seems to be at the pinnacle of this business.

I also passed by many more of those enormous spinning irrigation machines that leave giant crop circles on the land, very noticeable from high flying aircraft.

I arrived at Walnut Valley about 5PM and was informed that motorcycles are not allowed into the camping area. This frustration was offset by a very nice festival committee lady who used her golf cart to help me find my friends and get my luggage to the camp site.

Bruce Haswell, a friend of mine and a banjo player from New Zealand, had met a group of musicians a year ago at a music camp in Lubbock, Texas, and they had convinced him to join them at their Coyote Camp in Walnut Valley. I was very fortunate to acquire an instant musical family through Bruce at Coyote Camp. With the tent finally set up it is time to settle in for four days and nights of endless music.

Americana for the day: the “Land Rush” - queuing up days in advance to stake a claim on a desirable campsite for a music festival

Phhotos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment