Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Great Basin and Zion

7 September 2011

Got an early start in the brisk dawn air and headed east out of Ely on 50 then southeast on 487 to Great Basin National Park. The Great Basin is an area encompassing most of Nevada and Utah and the fringes of surrounding states, that does not drain to the sea but into the Great Salt Lake and other areas. Great Basin National Park preserves a tiny bit of this system in it's natural state. The park includes the sage desert on the plateau and ascends to the 13063-foot peak of Mt Wheeler. There are some stunning views from Mt Wheeler (see photos).

Next I took 487 southeast into Utah and picked up 21, heading southeast. I may have been on “The Loneliest Road” yesterday, but this road is even lonelier. I would see another person about every 45 minutes. I felt compelled to wave at every one.

Every time I fly over the desert at 30,000 feet I see circles inscribed in the barren land and I've always wondered what they were. They are irrigated crop circles, where long pipes (200 to 300 meters) in big wheels spin around a central hub, spraying water, and creating a lush circle of green.

At Minersville I took 130 south to Cedar City where I got on I-15 south to Toquerville and took 9 east to Zion National Park. The geology changed dramatically to crested buttes and lots of big rock and the elevation dropped to about 3000 feet. With the drop in elevation came heat and for the first time in weeks I had to deal with temps in the upper 90's.

I was lucky to get one of the last available campsites inside the park and had a nice patina of sweaty dust when I was done. I was hoping the temperature would drop at night so I could sleep.

In order to help preserve the ecosystem, private vehicles are not permitted in the upper reaches of Zion Canyon. Instead, the park provides buses that roam the park and you can get on an off at the various places of interest. The longest wait would be about ten minutes.

I was completely unprepared for the awesome nature of Zion Canyon. The photos are a pitiful representation of this hugely vertical world. It is one of the most impressive places I have ever experienced. I would like to come back and spend a week here.

It was well after dark when I got back to my tent, a nice breeze was cooling the valley and sleeping was comfortable.

Americana for the day: Frothy A&W Root Beer

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/T.Micheal.Young/USA201102

No comments:

Post a Comment