Sunday, September 25, 2011

Big Bend

I posted a lot of photos of Big Bend, mostly to give you a taste of what it is like around here. Like Utah, it's mostly about rocks. It's been a severe drought year with record heat, and I sense the tenacious will to live of all the flora and fauna. I have a huge respect for everything, plant and animal, that continues to survive in this harsh place.

The biggest feature of the day for me was the heat. The forecast called for a high in the low 90's. By noon it was up to 100 and for my ride from Terlingua to Presidio it was steady at 105. This is deblilitatingly hot. The desire to stop often for a drink is offset by the total lack of shade which makes stopping even more miserable than riding. I did notice that it was only stupid white humans who are out and about in this weather. All other creatures are hunkered down somewhere.

From Presidio I rode north to Pecos, getting a room again as it would be impossible to sleep in this heat if camping. Tomorrow is forecast to be hot again so I will try to have wheels rolling at dawn tomorrow as I head to Guadalupe National Park and Carlsbad Caverns National Park.

Americana for the day: a Peanut Buster Parfet at Dairy Queen

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment