Friday, September 30, 2011

Back in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

30 September 2011

Finally had the wheels rolling shortly after dawn on I15 to Barstow. From there Susan kept me heading in a generally northwesterly direction towards Sequoia National Park. Highway 190 from Kernville to Exeter was a most excellent motorcycle road, with lots of twisty turnies and good suface conditions and it felt great to spend more time on the sides of the tires than the middle. It's a yee haa road for the sport bike enthusiast.

Once I got into the park, I didn't want to stop for any attractions as I was anxious to get a camping spot in the Lodgepole campground, at 8000 feet. Once that was accomplished, it was time to settle in for the night. I met Al and Tina, a couple of great musicians and we had a bit of a jam as dusk settled.

On full dark there was a crescent moon setting in a clear sky just over the next ridge where General Sherman (the largest tree on Earth) lives. It was a special moment and I really wanted Trude to be there with me.

Americana for the day: unable to pay at the pump because a five digit zip code is required and my four digit NZ zip code doesn't work here.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment