Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cliff Dwelling

11 September 2011

Was up early and rode to Mesa Verde National Park, famous for it's Pueblo Indian cliff dwellings. The morning was brisk and got even brisker as we climbed up above eight thousand feet to the mesa.

Some of the sites are accessible only on scheduled guided tours. I chose to go to Long House since I could see it at my own pace and time. There was a short ten minute hike from the car park to the cliff dwellings and at over eight thousand feet elevation one can get a bit winded over such a short distance. It was fascinating to try and imagine what day to day life was like for these people. What did fear? What brought them joy? How did they love? We can only speculate.

Many years ago when I first saw photos of these cliff dwellings I felt an intense personal connection to them, a powerful sort of dejavu. Now, standing here in front of them I feel admiration for the tenacity of the Pueblos but no sense of personal connection. Hmmm. It was, however, a goosebumpy feeling to touch a brick made by another human about a thousand years ago.

The park visitors center near the entrance and the museum at Long House were both very interesting and well worth the time to peruse them. I was amazed at the pottery and weaving skills of the Pueblo people. Their baskets even surpassed the fine basket weaving we found in Tonga.

From Mesa Verde I headed toward Black Canyon National Park, turning north at Durango on 550 to Montrose. I don't know how they decide which roads to put dotted lines next to on the map, denoting a scenic road, but 550 doesn't have them and there are few more deserving roads. You will not find more rugged, spectacular mountain scenery on a paved road, especially the section heading north into the mining town of Ouray. If you can afford it, book a stay in Ouray, it is an amazing place, in an amazing area of the planet. Unfortunately I was not able to get photos as it was raining the entire time I was on 550. I had planned to camp in Black Canyon but the rain convinced me to get a motel in Montrose.

I should also mention that today is the tenth anniversary of the destruction of the Twin Towers and the USA was buzzing with remembrances and fear of further attacks.

Americana for the day: biscuits and gravy for breakfast

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg



No comments:

Post a Comment