Saturday, September 24, 2011

Westward Bound

24 September 2011

Packed up, said goodbye to Carl, and started heading southwest across Texas. After a lot of consideration I have decided to go to Big Bend National Park in the boot heel of Texas. It's about 14 hours riding from Carl's house, more than i'll get done today but i'll get as far as I can.

From noon onwards, the air temp was at or above body temperature so I decided to forgo the back roads and take the fastest route. This backfired as a semi truck exploded ahead of me about sixty miles from Fort Stockton and had the motorway completely closed for an hour. There was a lot of skunk roadkill on the road today and a roadkill mule deer about every hundred miles. This is a worry for me as I would likely be the roadkill in such an encounter.

After getting past the exploded semi, I made it safely into Fort Stockton while riding directly into a low sun.

I spent the evening getting this blog completely up to date. Tomorrow i'll go to Big Bend and perhaps move on from there to Guadalupe and Carlsbad National Parks.

Americana for the day: dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinking to high heaven

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment