Sunday, September 18, 2011

Walnut Valley Music Festival

15 – 18 September 2011

It was unseasonably cold and wet in Winfield and I spent the entire festival wearing every layer I had. There was plenty of excellent tarpology around so socializing and jamming were only marginally affected.

It was quite entertaining to walk around the various camping areas and look at the theme camps, and just marvel at the latest in camping technology. Tents and RV's are in abundance and the population density is quite high. The Pecan Grove camping area is a world unto itself, with huge tents, improvised sub-festivals, some with makeshift stages of their own. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Camp Coyote was a hub for some of the top shelf musicians and through the generosity of the clan I was able to get some jamming in with fine borrowed instruments. This was the time of this trip when I most missed having my musical toys with me.

I spent a lot of time attending the competitions, both for the excellent music and for the dry and warm venue.

On Sunday morning we were lucky to get a break in the weather and to break camp with mostly dry tents and tarps. I sat in on some of the banjo competition then rode all afternoon to eastern Oklahoma and got checked into a room in Poteau minutes before a series of thunderstorms unloaded on the area.

Americana for the day: in your face Christianity – billboards and signs of every size in various types of locations are trying to convert me, some with a stick, some with a carrot

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment