Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back in Big D

20 September 2011

After a nice relaxing morning with Mark and Shelia I rode into Dallas. There was an interesting motorway experience along the way. Just south of Lewisville there was a pickup in front of me pulling a dual axle trailer with a car on it. One of right side trailer tires was billowing smoke and then came off, wheel and tire still intact, and started rolling down freeway. This is I35 with three lanes each direction and a concrete barrier median. We were doing about 65MPH in the right lane. The smoking wheel rolls off the shoulder, across a ditch and onto an on ramp, then follows the on ramp back into traffic, rolling at about 55MPH. It takes it about a quarter mile to cross all three lanes, cleverly avoiding being hit by the heavy traffic, hits the concrete median and bounces over that into oncoming traffic, at which point I lost track of it but could see some panic braking in my mirror. It was a sobering experience – if it had hit me I would have been dead.

I stopped into Mariner Sails to visit my old friend Aris. We hopped in his red ragtop MG and headed to the Caribbean Cafe for lunch. It was great to catch up and see him and his business doing so well.

From Mariner Sails it was a short ten minute ride to Andy's (Trude's sister) house. We had a good chat before she headed out to teach her evening chemistry class and I settled in and spent the evening relaxing and working on this blog.

Americana for the day: drinking Sierra Nevada pale ale from Chico California

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108481211284683809830/USA20113?authkey=Gv1sRgCInJ3fTt3fO0Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment